Tuesday 6 September 2011

Blue Tits and Spaceships

Knitted Tie Fighter 

I'd like to think I could knit most things by hand, free handed even, however knitting a Star Wars Tie Fighter was a real challenge. After being shown some photos of one by my new friend Ben Swalies I had to attempt it. I knitted 4 versions of the outer pieces: the first in separate shapes, second and third free handed and the forth I had to digitally make the pattern to finally get it looking somewhat presentable. Other versions I have seen of it have all been crochet, so if I was to attempt it again I wouldn't knit it! (well maybe chunky wool on small needles rather than DK to make it stiffer). He seems to like it so it all turned out okayyy!  

Outer Piece Pattern


So with my new friend Ben I braved London for the day. I wouldn't say I am a massive wimp when it comes to cities, but definitely need some assistance when bumbling around them. We had a nice day, visiting Brick Lane where I brought two beanie babies! I also saw this jumper, which was a nice bit of inspiration! Simple but really lovely! With the cold and rain just round the corner the wooly jumper will rise again and I'll get to see loads of beautiful designs where ever I go :))

Lovely Jumper in a Brick Lane Window 

After Brick Lane we visited the Natural History Museum and I got to see the amazing animatronic dinosaurs, I'm not too sure if they were to scale, they seem to be different sizes in different parts of the museum, and a lot bigger in Jurassic Park. Despite having some beef with the sizes of the exhibits and the lies about the dodo bird it was a lovely trip. Looking at all the stuffed (and model) animals it did give me some ideas for my knitting and I learnt an awful lot!

Long Neck

Getting some ideas for future knitting projects. 

On my train journey I was working on a baby hat I had been asked to knit, I still have four more to do but I think this was a good start! I first attempted to do them on my dpns however it did not give as nicer finish as just working on regular needles. Working with one of my favourite colour wools I created this. It could be a monkey or a bear cub, however you want to see it! I finished it yesterday and will get started on the rest tomorrow. 

Monkey/Bear Cub New Born's Hat

After finishing the newborn hat I was thinking about going back to uni and what to shoot. I began looking into animal cruelty and the use of animals in fashion. I wanted to knit something that would ultimately fit with my faux foxes. I found a pattern online for a blue tit and started working on it but changing the colours to oranges and browns. I thought about the use of birds in fascinators and thought I should try out a pattern before designing my own. I was quite happy for a nights work, however it has let my arm in a support bandage and clicking like crazy. Ooopps. I'm getting in quite a few orders at the moment so I'm moving between machine knitting and hand knitting to keep my bones from snapping! 


Working on Four Needles 


Finished Bird! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Etsy Awards - One Year On

I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I won the Etsy Awards. Time has flown by and my small business has grown so much. Winning th...