Knitted Beehive Shoot

Today I had my first real shoot for my knitted hair project. I done two previous test shoots with a different style of hair piece with Faith as a test model. I cast my model Holly because I thought she had a really strong side profile and a good potential 60s look to her. It was the first time I met my make up artist, Louise. I  generally get on really well with other Louises so it was really exciting. 

The beehive took ages to make, I decided to use the hexypuff technique I had seen on the bee keepers quilt, but shape it into the hives. I knitted so many hexagons, sewed them all up and then used strong flower wire to put it into shape. I wanted to make it as a working wig, but from the wire and then stuffing it, it became so heavy and the back became a little bit of a waste. 

Shooting it was a nightmare! But it was still fun. I had a yellow gel on the background and two polly boards to block it out, then a beauty dish lighting my model. Faith was assisting me and had to crouch down on the floor propping up the hive throughout the shoot. I used a yellow theme with the eye make up.

I felt for a first shoot I had the excuse for it to go a little wrong, the images I produced I was really happy with. Louise put her hair up in the hive because I had not made a fringe for it, but hopefully I can re-shoot this and get everything perfect.

Beehive in the making, on the wrong side

Louise Walker

Louise Walker is an award winning knitting pattern and kit designer based in South London.

No comments:

Post a Comment