Friday 3 April 2015

The "Spring Break" Make Escape

Last night found Sincerely Louise running a workshop on making felt Easter eggs at The Make Escape in Hackney. I was delighted to have a large number of people visiting my station to contribute to the making efforts; some of the eggs were truly inspired, with crowns, sequins and steam-punk chicks all making an appearance.


The Spring Break Make Escape

I set myself up in the far corner, with a comfy sofa and a range of soft chairs for the crafters to perch on. The Make Escape is totally free, and most of the materials are given to us as donations - I had a wonderful selection to sort through, from plain felt to beautiful sequinned fabrics that took the crafters a long way towards creating their own Faberge eggs!

The doors opened at 7:30 pm, and before long I was surrounded by a group of people ready to craft themselves into the Easter spirit.

As well as the makers of London, Anna of Wild and Woolly joined me for a quick glass of wine and a chat. She headed off with her own egg to celebrate the upcoming holiday shortly afterwards, and I was delighted to finally meet her in person.

This is a wonderful way to get into the Easter spirit, without breaking open calorific treats, although I find that chocolate and a glass of wine is always a welcome accompaniment to time spent creating!

Anna of Wild and Wooly joined me at the Make Escape.
Another glorious egg by @JimJamDavis - you can't see it
but it's also covered in sequins! 

Craft Your Own Easter Egg

Crafting felt eggs is a great way to spend some time with friends and family over Easter, seeing who can come up with the best design, put on the most bling, and get the most glue on each others hands! As a treat I have provided the templates and instructions for this workshop for you to download and print out at home - entirely free. Click below for the templates.


Recommended materials for making the eggs are:
  • Pieces of felt for the body of the eggs
  • Any bling for decorating - sequins, ribbon, buttons etc
  • Scraps of decorative material for embellishments
  • Ribbon if you would like to turn the egg into a hanging ornament
  • Brooch pins if you would like to wear your egg with pride
  • Scissors
  • Needle and thread
  • Fabric glue
    A range of felt eggs and chick.
    Egg ornaments on the left, chicks on the right
If you do any making over the Easter weekend, post your photos on social media and be sure to tag me so I can see what you get up to! Find me @sincerelylouise on InstagramTwitter, and Facebook.

The Spring Break Make Escape - more photos

Here are a few more snapshots of the event.


Momtaz @TheCraftCafe, the organisational superstar behind the Make Escape,
joined in cooing over the little chicks.
Easter Eggs with crowns were very popular!
This is Sian, rocking her egg.
Corrie of Plutonium Muffins with her egg.

Egg inspiration from our 'Make Escapers' 






To find out more about The Make Escape head over to their blog. The next one's in July and will be their third birthday craft celebration, so come along for an evening of free workshops!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Etsy Awards - One Year On

I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I won the Etsy Awards. Time has flown by and my small business has grown so much. Winning th...