Thursday 20 October 2011

Matthew Brodie - Paper Dresses


The paper dress editorial by Matthew Brodie for Madame Magazine is nothing short of incredible. Once again I am looking at large scale props being used in a fashion context. Here the image are celebrating these hand made props whilst selling accessories such as bags and jewellery. The brilliant thing about fashion photography is how it sells a life style and here you want to become this woman dressed in paper. I think the images do hold some kind of childhood nostalgia, with the pencil sharpening dress or the flowing crate paper. The props bring you back to a scissors and glue craft project, yet the studio reminds you that it is a fashion image. Brodie's blog post shows the making of the props and you can see the work that has gone into them.


I think the lighting is really interesting, in the studio they could have been shot against bright white, however this adds to the quirkiness highlighting certain areas. I think the model fits with the style of the images, some what unconventional. I don't know if I'm a fan of the hair styles though out the whole series but I do really like these three images. I think they show that doing something your self can pay off and inspire me to really pull out all the stops in my project. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Etsy Awards - One Year On

I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I won the Etsy Awards. Time has flown by and my small business has grown so much. Winning th...